Becca Reads

9.12.2006

The Callahan Cousins

Last night M and I finished the first Callahan Cousins book. M decided she didn't want me to read to her at bedtime over a year ago, but when Grandpa gave her the Callahan Cousins, we decided to resume reading aloud and it's been nice. M devours all her books, so eking out a chapter a night has definitely been a challenge for her, but we've come to enjoy the suspense and it's nice to have the time together snuggling in the big chair (OK, so it barely fits the two of us, especially last night when we were both in sleeping bags, but we still sit there, because that's the place to sit for bedtime reading).

The Callahans are four twelve-year-old girl cousins spending the summer at their grandmother's summer house on Gull Island (read Block Island) (read enormous privilege that it is quite enjoyable to read about--M and I are both bedazzled by enormous summer houses with sailboats, swimming pools, private beaches, and housekeepers who make delicious food appear regularly). There appear to be four books--the fourth comes out next month--each focused on a different cousin with a different adventure. In this one, Hilary, whom we might also call Sporty Callahan, convinces the others to revive their dads' childhood competition with another island family and try to plant the family flag on Little Gull Island. Not a lot of drama, but some nice relationships, plus all that summer house life. We liked it; we're planning on reading the rest.

But what got me thinking (as opposed to just salivating) was the whole disparate cousins motif, as subtly hinted at in my characterization of Hilary as Sporty Callahan (please, someone, reassure me that you got the allusion, which should become obvious in a moment). Each girl, of course, has one distinguishing characteristic: Hilary is sporty, Kate is a mini-Martha Stewart, Phoebe reads, and Neeve is wild and crazy. Which got me wondering about the origins of the one-characteristic-per-girl model.

Let's see, there are, of course, the Spice Girls (last night at dinner we managed to remember them all--kind of like the time when I was a kid and we tried to remember all the seven dwarfs and it took us days to come up with Bashful, except this time we got them all in about three minutes: you remember: Sporty, Posh, Scary, Ginger, and Baby). I remember I used to read Camp Fire Girls books when I was a kid, and I'm pretty sure they were all typed. Maggie Tulliver*, complaining about Madame de Stael's Corinne, laments the type-casting of the blonde heroine (who would be her cousin, Lucy Dean, destined for sweetness, light, and boys), and the dark heroine (i.e. Maggie herself, headed for tragedy, and though Eliot critiques, she nonetheless enacts), and I believe Maggie mentions Rebecca and Rowena,** but if she doesn't she should. And what the heck, let's just go all the way back to the original virgin/whore dichotomy with Mary Magdalene and Martha.

So, one question is: is this girl-specific? Unfortunately, as child and adult, I have read mainly girl books, so I don't know. Is there a smart Hardy Boy and an athletic one? Do Frederick Exley novels revolve around a sensitive guy and a tough guy? Of course there's Ashley and Rhett***, but that's still a girl book.

Then there's the question of what this modeling does for girls. S argues that there are in fact two different things going on here: that in the Maggie/Lucy/Rebecca/Rowena model, type is destiny, but in the Spice/Camp Fire Girls model, type is just descriptive. I'm concerned, though, that the second model still sets girls up by suggesting that they can only be one thing: you pick a character to identify with (because, obviously, all those characters are there so that as many girls as possible can identify--hmm, this is getting a little chicken and egg, but I'll just keep going with it), and that's who you are.

Case in point: M, who is ecstatically convinced that she is Neeve. Neeve is short (check), has short dark hair (check--M just got her hair cut), and loves wild fashion (check, check, check, and this is the heart of the identification, because M is very into wild outfits these days, and she is very excited to have Neeve as a model--she even tried on the old dress-up tutu, because one day, in the book, Neeve wears a tutu, but, alas, it was too small) (just to illustrate: today M wore a white and red Serena Manish t-shirt [they're another band you've never heard of], a knee-length black satin skirt with embroidered flowers and a light brown ruffle, a thigh-length purple cardigan with a collar, white socks, and red Chinese shoes).

Now I'm very happy that M has Neeve to validate her fashion choices, but in fact, M is really a combination of Neeve (wild, fashion), Hilary (spunky leadership), and Phoebe (books, books, books), and when I pointed this out to her, she agreed. And then we agreed that she was not at all Kate.

And, in fact, this points to a point I have made many times, which is that readers are often smarter than books set them up to be. So perhaps I just need to have confidence in the ability of girls to construct complex identifications, even in the face of simplistic character types. After all, I'm Rebecca** and I didn't die in a flood*.


* George Eliot, The Mill on the Floss
** Sir Walter Scott, Ivanhoe
***
Margaret Mitchell, Gone with the Wind (duh)

8 Comments:

  • Mommy - I like the Callahan Cousins too. I couldn't tell that the book you just read with M was a book about one of the girls. By Bun-Bun (that's a lot of alliteration)

    By Blogger E, at 8:21 PM  

  • I'm trying to think if boys books do this. I've read more girls' books than boys' books but I did read Horatio Alger and I do believe I read Hardy Boys and I can't remember. I don't think there are as many series for boys either and if they are, they're weird. (Noah likes one called Extreme Monsters about monsters who do extreme sports, for example Steiner is a frankestein monster who does BMX biking. Yes, the series is terrible. And I think they DO have personalities but haven't read them to find out. I do know, because the publisher told me, that the witch -- also the only girl -- is the "smart one.")

    By Blogger Dawn, at 8:46 PM  

  • I think boy books do it, too. I think the Hardy boys were differentiated in some way (though I couldn't tell you how), and in "group" books there are always the funny one, the mean one, the sensitive one, whatever. I have to admit I reject most series books (where I think these issues are more stark) out of hand, and the "boy" books I'm reading lately (Stroud's Bartimaeus trilogy, Sonnenblick's Midnight Driver book, and Chet Gecko, whose author I can't recall) don't do this. In fact, in the "boy" books I'm reading, the boys are friends with girls. Whereas I don't recall girls being friends with boys in girl books. Hmmm.

    By Blogger Libby, at 9:09 PM  

  • BTW I should say when I "reject series" books, I certainly didn't as a kid, and still don't for what I think of as "literary series" books. It's a fine line...one I'm not at all prepared to defend!

    By Blogger Libby, at 12:35 PM  

  • I think the boys' books do this, too, but I think there are fewer boy archetypes. But I'm basing this only on foggy memories of The Three Investigators series. I suppose that to be fair, one of us should undertake a study of Captain Underpants or something.

    Any volunteers?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:30 PM  

  • I remember reading the Hardy boys books, and I think there were some differences between Frank and Joe, like Frank was smarter and Joe was a little more impulsive, but not quite the way girls have been-- like in The Babysitters Club, a series that was big in my middle-school years, where Claudia was the wild fashion one, Kristy the tomboy, Mary Ann the shy bookish one, and Stacy the New York diabetic one.

    Is that sad that I remember this stuff so well?!

    There's also the Sweet Valley High twins, where Elizabeth is the good-girl straight-A type and Jessica is the vampy popular type.

    By Blogger jackie, at 4:38 PM  

  • I've read many "series" that do this. Not "Little House"-ish series, but certainly SVH as Jackie mentioned and one called Seniors that I recall: Kit the sexy one, Alex the sporty one, Lori the beautiful one, and hey look, I've forgotten the name of the brainy one. Oh right -- ELAINE.

    Even Laura was the impulsive, bordering-on-rude Daddy's girl, and Mary was the good girl her mother was so pleased with. But the subtlety in these roles came out as they got older.

    The first time I smiled while reading this post was the very first mention of "Sporty Callahan."

    By Blogger thatgirl, at 10:00 PM  

  • We just read a book that's the first in a series of 3 books, and the heroine was refreshingly complex rather than labeled by a single characteristic. Maybe it's because it's not about several girls (though the main character has a best friend who isn't identified by only one characteristic - though the best friend's mom is, in a way).

    The book, which I recommend for chapter book readers, is Lucy Rose: The Thing About Me. The author's last name is Kelly, but I'm blanking on the first name.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home