Becca Reads

11.27.2006

Movies People Love That Don't Do It For Me

Cinema Paradiso.

Napoleon Dynamite.

Little Miss Sunshine. (I knew I wasn't going to like it, but so many people loved it that I reneged on my gut. But I was right to begin with. I liked when they pushed the van; I liked the #1 Proust scholar; of course I liked the pageant, who wouldn't? But overall? Yet another dysfunctional family road trip movie that's supposed to be funny and heart-warming but is just too pathetic along the way for me. Sorry.)

(If you want to know the best dysfunctional family road trip movie ever, it's Flirting With Disaster, and, yes, Ben Stiller does seem to be something of a contrapuntal theme these days.)

Edited to add: I knew there was another movie in this category: About Schmidt. Which is very much the same thing as Little Miss Sunshine, if you substitute RV for van, wedding for beauty pageant, and old lonely guy for dysfunctional family.

1 Comments:

  • I'm definitely with you on Flirting With Disaster, but I liked Little Miss Sunshine quite a bit too ... The ending, as cheesy as it was, just did it for me

    By Blogger Reel Fanatic, at 3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home