Becca Reads

10.03.2006

Arts & Leisure

Besides forgiving, I try to use Yom Kippur in a New Year's resolution kind of way to become a better person. This year I forgave my old boss and resolved not to get worked up about ridiculous things. So I will not be blogging about recent NY Times parenting articles, because they are so very same old same old--groveling for the affluent demographic, demonizing working mothers, irrelevant to the lives of the vast majority of Americans--and nothing is gained by me going there.

On the other hand, I--uncharacteristically--read the Arts & Leisure section cover to cover yesterday, while trying to make time pass on a fasting afternoon (I'd already done synagogue and a meaningful walk to the pond with M where we threw sticks in the water for the things we wanted to get rid of from the old year [sticks float away] and rocks for our wishes for the new year [rocks stay] [yes, I know Tashlich is supposed to be on Rosh Hashanah, but this is our own version], so I figured I deserved a little newspaper reading).

Great, if depressing, piece on indie filmmakers that referenced all the filmmakers I loved back in the day: John Sayles, Hal Hartley, Jim Jarmusch--I even saw Finn Taylor's first movie. Yes, I am hopelessly marooned in the aging boho demographic. Also an interesting article about David Lynch, who turns out to have been practicing TM since 1973 (my cousin was huge into TM back then--she claimed to levitate--when we went to Disneyland and got freaked out on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, she kept saying to her daughters, "say your mantras, girls, just say your mantras"). What made me write this post was that S just put on the Hold Steady which I had no idea he thought made the best album of 2005, but I liked the article and I'm loving the new album (it's reminding me of Bruce and Jonathan, and we all know how I feel about them). And, of course, I'm a sucker for anything "Chorus Line."

Another thing I'd like to be this year is more positive.

1 Comments:

  • Brett's parents had all the kids doing TM back in the 70s. He remembers walking to the temple with his bowl of fruit (offerings) and passing his buddies on the baseball field. "Sorry, guys, I can't play because I have to go meditate!" About a year ago the boys told each other their mantras (the ones they were given and told never to tell) -- they all were given the same one.

    By Blogger Dawn, at 9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home