Becca Reads

6.03.2007

Jonathan Lethem and Ian McEwan

This passage from Lethem's review of McEwan's new novel gets it exactly right on what it's like to read a great novel (obviously I'm in the "delicious agony" camp) (Atonement is one of the novels I experienced like this, another is Salman Rushdie's Shame, also Julia Glass's first novel, and, though not every sentence, The Portrait of a Lady) (I think I need to read some Jonathan Lethem) (and catch up on the Ian McEwan novels I've missed):

Among the encompassing definitions we could give “the novel” (“a mirror walking down a road,” “a narrative of a certain size with something wrong with it”) is this: a novel is a vast heap of sentences, like stones, arranged on a beach of time. The reader may parse the stones of a novel singly or crunch them in bunches underfoot in his eagerness to cross. These choices generate tension: in my eagerness to learn “what happens,” might I miss something occurring at the level of the sentence? Some experience this as a delicious agony, others distrust it. Our appetite for Ian McEwan's form of mastery is a measure of our pleasure in fiction’s parallax impact on our reading brains: his narratives hurry us feverishly forward, desperate for the revelation of (imaginary) secrets, and yet his sentences stop us cold to savor the air of another human being’s (imaginary) consciousness.

3 Comments:

  • Did you read "Saturday"? I really liked it a lot, as much as I enjoyed "Atonement," even.

    As far as Lethem, I read"Fortress of Solitude," but haven't read his other stuff. He's doing some interesting stuff with his short stories and their adaptation rights on his website, too.

    By Blogger jackie, at 8:55 AM  

  • Read Lethem! My preference is definitely "Fortress of Solitude" over "Motherless Brooklyn," but I think maybe you will prefer the latter--both, really, works of total genius... His earlier books are all interesting and readable, but not with the same heft as those two. Haven't read the new one, must get it...

    By Blogger Jenny Davidson, at 10:21 AM  

  • I almost prefer Lethem's literary and cultural criticism to his fiction. He's a polymath and a brilliantly accessible critic. I'm not so keen on his forays into science fiction and comics (oddly), but I think he's becoming more complex, fiction-wise, in his dealings with sex and relationships - realism and melodrama, the staff of life! When he came to Moe's, he said that he wanted his new novel to be patterned like an Iris Murdoch novel in terms of the criss-crossing relationships of the characters.

    By Blogger postacademic, at 11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home